Eye Strain Treatment
Eye strain is a common & annoying and rarely a serious condition. Tired eyes are an annoyance more than anything. Usually there are a few ways to treatment eye strain by making simple changes in your work habits or environment. If they don’t work you need to talk with your eye care specialists. Sometimes, there is an underlying medical cause for eyestrain that requires additional treatment.
Here are few easy & common treatments that you can take as an eye strain treatment & common symptoms of computer vision syndrome below:
- Get a comprehensive eye exam by an experienced Optometrist : Get a regular comprehensive eye exam is the most important thing you can do to treat eye strain & computer vision problems. Every computer users should have an eye exam before they start working on a computer and once a year thereafter. You have to provide all the correct information to your optometrist during eye exam so that your eye doctor can test your eyes accurately and get you the best treatment for eye strain.
- Minimize glare: Glare on walls and finished surfaces and reflections on your computer screen also can cause computer vision syndrome. Installing an anti-glare screen on your monitor and paint bright white walls a darker color with a matte finish as a treatment of computer eye strain. Also cover your window if you cannot reduce outside light. Consider using a computer hood. Change lighting to minimize glare and harsh reflections.
- Ensure you have the correct lighting to avoid Eyestrain and Computer Vision Syndrome : The most common reason for Eye strain is excessively bright light either from outdoor sunlight coming in through a window or from harsh interior lighting. A high amount of contrast will put more strain on your eyes, so when you are reading, watching TV, or working on the computer, make sure you have the room lit evenly. Lighting can play an important role to cure eye strain & Computer Vision Syndrome
- Upgrade your Computer display: You have to replace your old tube-style monitor like cathode ray tube and CRT with a flat-panel liquid crystal display or LED like those on laptop computers. Choose screens which are tilt and swivel. Try to use a glare filter over your screen. Place the screen 22-26 inches away from your eyes and a slight under eye level. You should regularly clean off dust and fingerprints from the screen. Upgrading your computer display can prevent you from computer eye strain.
5. Adjust your computer display settings: Adjusting display settings of your computer can cure eye strain & Computer Vision Syndrome. Usually, these adjustments are beneficial as a treatment of your eye strain:
- Brightness. Adjust the brightness of your computer display. Make it roughly the same as the brightness of your surrounding workstation.
- Text size and contrast. Adjust the text size and contrast for comfort while reading or composing extensive documents.
- Color temperature. Reducing the color temperature of your display lowers the amount of blue light emitted by a color display for better long-term viewing comfort. In some cases, the color temperature of a desktop computer monitor is adjusted on the display itself.
For Microsoft Windows operating system, you will find & adjust the display settings in Control Panel. For an Apple computer, you will find & adjust the display settings in Systems Preferences
- Have your work station positioning assessed: If you need to look back and forth between a printed page and your computer monitor, then you might suffer eye strain & Computer Vision Syndrome. Place written pages on a copy stand adjacent to the monitor. Light the copy stand properly and make sure it doesn’t shine into your eyes or onto your computer screen. Improper position throughout the computer work also causes to computer vision syndrome. Adjust your workstation and chair to the correct height so that you can feel comfortable. Try to keep a document holder next to your computer screen.
- Blink often to keep your eyes hydrated & Exercise your eyes: Blinking is mandatory while working on a computer but unfortunately people blink less frequently. Blinking will keep hydrated your eyes in order to prevent dryness and irritation. You can Post a note called “BLINK” on the computer as a reminder. You can decrease the risks of tiring eyes by a solid eye exercise like try the 20-20-20 rule. Like in every 20 minutes, you should look away about 20 feet in front of you for 20 seconds. Eye optometrists call this the 20-20-20 rule. Looking distance will relaxes the focusing muscle inside the eye. This can be a very effective treatment for your eye strain.
- Take regular breaks from reading or using the computer: In order to decrease the risk of computer vision syndrome and some pain like neck, back and shoulder pain – take regular breaks while using computer at work and during your reading time. You can make a routine for your break time at work just to treat your computer eye strain.
- Ask an experienced Optometrist if computer glasses, coatings or lubricant eye drops and gels might help you combat Eyestrain and Computer Vision Syndrome : You might be beneficial by having a modified eyeglasses prescription to create customized computer glasses from your experienced optometrist which can really bring you a maximum comfort at your computer. Computer glasses are completely a good choice when you wear bifocals or progressive lenses, because these lenses generally are not optimal for the distance to your computer screen. Make sure that your glasses and contact lens prescription is up-to-date. Use artificial tears to refresh your eyes when they feel dry. Artificial tears can cure and relieve dry eyes. Use them even when your eyes feel fine to keep them well lubricated. Your experienced Optometrist can suggest the best drops for you. If your drops contain preservatives then don’t use them more than four times a day.
- Splash your face with cold water to keep your eyes refreshed: Always wash your face with cold water so that water can go inside your eyes in order to avoid eye strain.
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet: Always eat healthy diet.
If you have eye strain or any kind of pain, you should see an eye doctor for an evaluation in case there is an underlying medical condition.
For more information on Eyestrain and Computer Vision Syndrome including tips and treatment –